Click Link for Rider Skill Descriptions:
Calvert Equestrian, LLC at Little Cove Farm, Inc. is family owned and operated, led by owner and CHA Level 4 Instructor, Lisa Caruolo. Sitting on 52 acres, Calvert Equestrian is nestled on Saint Leonard Creek, offering the serenity of the waterfront. Equestrian trails outline the property with a few wooden trails to explore. A Cross-country course is planned for 2023/24.
The main barn has 14 large, 12x12 matted stall with an automatic flyspray system. 2 hot/cold wash stalls. Every horse's custom fitted saddle and bridle is kept in the temperature controlled Tack Room. Boarded horses have a large 2-saddle locker to keep their things private. The Feed Room is also temperature controlled. Hygain is the primary feed with some Tribute products.
Our lovely temperature controlled Lounge also has a restroom and an observation area. You will be able to relax and watch the lessons inside the spacious 80x200 indoor arena. The automatic watering system helps to keep the environment less dusty for our equine partners and human family. Right outside of the indoor arena is a large 80x200 outdoor arena with excellent drainage.
Whether you are just beginning the horse journey or looking to further develop your skills, Calvert Equestrian has the experience and education to advance you to that next level.
Master Instructor: Lisa Caruolo
Instructor's Assistant: tba
Instructor's Assistant: tba
Services provided by the business
- Courses for beginners
- Riding for children
- Riding for elderly
- Riding for young
- Riding lessons for adults
- Riding lessons for special groups
- Riding on ponies
- Show jumping
- Working Equitation
- Conference room
- Dressing room
- Indoor stables
- Outdoor arena
- Special events
- Stable days for school children
You will be served by
Lisa A CaruoloOwner/Instructor Hopoti page
Businesses own rules and practices
1. ALWAYS be KIND to others, both people and horses, NO exceptions. ANY DISREPECT TO OWNERS, STAFF CLIENT OR GUEST CAN RESULT IN IMMEDIATE RELEASE FROM THE CALVERT EQUESTRIAN RIDING ACADEMY.
2. NO YELLING OR RUNNING IN THE BARN OR AROUND THE HORSES.
3. NO SMOKING ANYWHERE on the property.
1. To cancel a lesson, 24-hour written notice is REQUIRED to be eligible to receive a make-up.
2. Late arrivals to lessons may result in forfeiture of the lesson. Arrive 45 – 60 minutes prior to your lesson to properly prepare to be in the arena, ready for instruction on time.
4. Make-up lessons Can be made directly through Hopoti by booking another lesson in the same month or within the next 10 days.
5. Students wishing to "take a break" from lessons, for ANY reason, will lose their lesson day and
time. We will not hold any unpaid lesson slots.
1. ONLY CURRENT STUDENTS are permitted to groom, tack, handle horses, enter fields, paddocks or stalls. Parents may wait in our Cozy Lounge!
2. All riders must now have their own ASTM approved and properly fitted helmet. Riders' helmets that do not fit properly will not be allowed to mount!
4. Calvert Equestrian no longer provides helmets for our re-occurring students.
5. Proper English riding boots or paddock boots MUST be worn while riding.
6. No open toed shoes are allowed in the barn or near the horses.
7. Breeches are strongly encouraged.
8. Do not leave a horse unattended in a stall with the tack on. Do not fasten the horse from the mouthpiece.
9. Do not leave a horse unattended in any tie at ANY TIME ** wash racks, cross-ties or stall.
10. No one is to enter a field, paddock or stall without instruction to do so.
11. Anyone under 16 years of age MUST wear a FASTENED helmet while working around horses.
12. Feeding is meticulously planned for each horse's dietary needs. Feeding treats could risk a horse's health or change horses' behavior. Do not feed any Treats.
USE OF FACILITIES
1. Barn hours are strongly enforced. Our family, horses, and staff need time to make your time at Calvert Equestrian a positive and productive experience. We are Closed to students and Leases on Sundays. The horses get a day off to be horses. Boarders will have access to their horses and facilities on
Sundays, although the barn hours are limited and will be adhered to.
2. Boarder, student and guest parking is in the marked GRAVEL area in the front side of the barn.
3. The Client Entrance is the Main Double Door in the Front of the Barn.
4. Do Not Enter The 2 double doors directly on the side of the barn. These doors may have a horse tied up and should remain clear of vehicles and pedestrians. **Do not park here to pick up your student.
5. Cleanup after yourself AND your horse in the aisle, wash stall, arenas and stalls. This includes sweeping isle after your horse from grooming AND sweeping sand back into arena from walking.
6. Turn off water after using wash stall and Squeegee water thoroughly.
7. Every horse has its own, fitted tack. Return all tack to its proper place so they are not used on a wrong horse. DO NOT DRAG TACK or LEAVE tack on the ground. Expensive equipment lying on the floor can get broken or cause injury if tangled at the feet of a horse or human.
1. Remove manure when you are finished riding. This includes the outdoor arena.
2. Jump Course. If you raise, drop rails/fences or move poles when you are riding, put them back the way you found them. DO NOT MOVE JUMP STANDARDS.
3. Calvert Equestrian Riding Academy owned horses are NOT to be jumped at a height higher than 2’6” except during specific lessons. ABSOLUTELY NO jumping during practice or Lease rides.
4. Lessons have priority and right-of-way. Boarders/leases that are not in the lesson are required to ride
the same direction as the lesson at all times as to not cause any disruption. Always get permission before entering the ring with a lesson.
5. NEVER ENTER THE ARENA DURING AN ON-GOING LESSON.
6. Do not talk to or disturb the instructor or riders during an on-going lesson.
7. ABSOLUTELY NO STANDING AT THE ENTRANCE GATES TO THE ARENAS.
*Calvert Equestrian Riding Academy / Little Cove Farm, Inc. reserves the right to dismiss a student from this or any program for violation of these rules by the student or their parent/representative.
**Calvert Equestrian Riding Academy does not grant permission for ANY outside riding instructors and/or trainers to conduct lessons on the property.
I have read the Barn Rules for Calvert Equestrian Riding Academy And agree to abide by these policies. I understand that these rules are here the safety of all involved and for a well-run program.
HORSEBACK RIDING AGREEMENT, WAIVER and LIABILITY RELEASE
DISCLOSURE: SERIOUS INJURY MAY RESULT FROM PARTICIPATION IN THIS ACTIVITY. CALVERT
EQUESTRIAN /LITTLE COVE FARM DOES NOT GUARANTEE YOUR SAFETY OR THAT OF YOUR
HORSE. YOU PARTICIPATE AT YOUR OWN RISK.
Calvert Equestrian, LLC. and Little Cove Farm, INC. is owned and operated by Lisa Caruolo, hereafter known as
“the PREMISES OWNER.” Calvert Equestrian is located at 2455 Garrity Rd. St. Leonard, Md, 20685, hereafter
known as “the PREMISES.”
By registration and signing up for lessons through Hopoti.com with Calvert Equestrian, LLC., you, thereafter known as “the RIDER”, OR parent/guardian if rider is under 18 years old, voluntarily requests and agrees to participate in any and all horse and barn related chores, and horseback riding on the PREMISES.
AGREEMENT SCOPE AND TERRITORY AND DEFINITIONS
This agreement shall be legally binding upon the RIDER and the parents or legal guardians thereof if the RIDER is under 18 years of age, the RIDER’s heirs, estate, assigns, including all minor children, and personal representatives; and it shall be interpreted according to the laws of the State of Maryland. Any disputes by the RIDER shall be litigated in Calvert County Maryland.
NATURE OF RIDING AND WORKING AROUND HORSES
No horse or pony is a completely safe horse or pony. If a rider falls from a horse or pony to the ground the impact may result in severe injury or death to the rider. If a horse or pony is frightened or provoked, it may divert from its training and act according to its natural survival instincts which may include, but are not limited to: stopping short, changing directions or speed at will; shifting its weight; bucking; rearing; kicking; biting; or running from danger. When leading a horse or pony there is a risk of being bitten, stepped on, run over or the animal being spooked.
Upon mounting a horse or pony, the RIDER is in primary control of the horse or pony. The RIDER’S safety largely depends upon the RIDER’S ability to carry out instructions, and the RIDER’S ability to remain balanced aboard the moving animal. The RIDER shall be responsible for the RIDER’S own safety. The RIDER shall determine and shall be responsible to determine their own fitness and that the RIDER has adequate experience for horseback riding. RIDER acknowledges that by voluntarily
participating in horseback riding, the RIDER is certifying that the RIDER has not been advised by any treating physician that there is a medical condition which any
reasonable person would realize could be adversely affected by the RIDER’S participation in horseback riding. The RIDER is certifying that any treating physician has not advised the RIDER to limit physical activities or exercise in any way. The RIDER is also certifying that they are NOT PREGNANT to the best of the RIDER’S knowledge.
LITTLE COVE FARM, INC.
CONDITIONS OF NATURE
The RIDER agrees that the PREMISES OWNER is not responsible for any injuries or death, for acts, occurrences, or elements of nature that can scare a horse or pony, cause it to fall, or react in some other unsafe way.
ACCIDENT, MEDICAL AND PERSONAL LIABILITY INSURANCE
Should medical treatment be required, the RIDER, the RIDER’S accident or the RIDER’S medical insurance company shall pay for all such incurred expenses. Should the RIDER’S actions or that of the RIDER’S horse or pony cause injury or damage of any kind, the RIDER or the RIDER’s personal liability insurance shall pay for such damages, except if caused by the gross negligence
or misconduct of the PREMISES OWNER, its agents or employees.
PROTECTIVE HEADGEAR WARNING
The RIDER has been advised that all individuals MUST wear ASTM/SEI approved riding helmets while mounted and all minors must wear riding helmets while working with horses or ponies on the PREMISES or during events related to Calvert Equestrian, LLC. The riding helmets at Calvert Equestrian are ASTM/SEI approved may be used for a very limited time; however, they are used helmets and thus the quality may have been compromised unknowingly. The RIDER has been advised to purchase and wear their own ASTM/SEI approved riding helmet, and that wearing a riding helmet while mounting, riding, dismounting, and otherwise being around horses or ponies, may prevent or reduce the severity of some head injuries and even prevent death from happening as the result of a fall or other occurrence.
In consideration of the PREMISES OWNER allowing the RIDER’S participation in horseback riding along with working with and around horses, under the terms set forth herein and except in the event of gross negligence or misconduct by the PREMISES OWNER, its agents or employees, the RIDER agrees as follows: to hold harmless and release the PREMISES OWNER, its
agents and employees from liability, claims, demands, losses, or damages on any claims, demand, legal actions and causes of action, against the PREMISES OWNER for any losses, including without limitation economic losses due to bodily injury, death, property damage, sustained by the RIDER in relation to activities occurring at the PREMISES or the operations of the PREMISES to include while riding, handling or otherwise being near horses or ponies owned by or in the care, custody and control of the PREMISES owner; and that if, despite this release, waiver of liability, and assumption of risk the RIDER, or anyone on the RIDER’S behalf makes a claim under this provision against the PREMISES OWNER, the RIDER will indemnify, save and hold harmless the PREMISES OWNER from any loss, liability, damage or reasonable costs which is may incur as the result of such claim.
STATEMENT OF AWARENESS AND AGREEMENT
I have read and voluntarily sign this Horseback Riding Agreement, Waiver and Liability Release, and further agree that no oral representations, statements or inducements apart from the foregoing written agreement have been made and have signed it freely and without any inducement or assurance of any nature.